Monday, August 22, 2011

Complacent Faith

Hebrews 11:1 describes faith:  Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.   Hebrews 11 is often described as the 'Hall of Fame' that tells of many of the patriarchs who took God at His Word.  Hebrews 11:3 says, By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

I put my faith in Jesus Christ when I was eleven years old. Romans 10:17 says, Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
 I believed that He was the Son of God (John 20:31), was born of a virgin (Matthew 1:22), died on the cross for my sins (John 19:33) and rose again on the third day (John 20:17) having victory over death.  (1 Corinthians 15:55)

Having faith means putting your trust in God.  Trusting God involves obeying Him even when it doesn't make sense.  He knows what is best for us and has a plan for our lives.  Jeremiah 29:11 says,  For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  As we grow up we sometimes get too big for our own britches and make decisions that are not best for us.  As a follower of Jesus Christ I have the luxury (yes, luxury) of having the Holy Spirit living within me to guide me.  All too often I become complacent in my relationship with God and my faith wanes. Complacent is defined as: marked by self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies. 

My faith becomes complacent when I choose not to obey God.  Isaiah 32:9 warns, You women who are so complacent, rise up and listen to me; you daughters who feel secure, hear what I have to say!  We need to always be willing to listen when God speaks as well as those that He sends to us to speak truth (friends, family, etc.) 

One way to avoid complacent faith is to obey immediately when God calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment